Updated Requirements for Advanced Training in Neurophysiology
Training Requirements for EMG/EEG Level 2 and 3.
Please refer to the detailed requirements specified below.
Training should be undertaken in an institution with an ANZAN accredited supervisor (or equivalent if training overseas). A full time training period of 6 months is required for level 2, and 12 months for Level 3. This can be part time, so long as the training is equivalent to the full time periods.
(1) The supervisors for all Level 2 and 3 candidates training in Australia or New Zealand must be credentialed ANZAN Level 2 or 3 supervisors. A Level 2 supervisor can train a Level 2 candidate; a Level 3 candidate requires a Level 3 supervisor.
(2) A logbook of all studies performed/reported must be kept. This must include the date of the study and the diagnosis. Patient identifying details are not required. This does not therefore contravene privacy or other regulations pertaining to patient data. Trainees undertaking Fellowships overseas must keep a log book. Applications which do not include a logbook will not be considered.
(3) The logbook for Level 2/3 training should not contain any studies done for Level 1. A new logbook for Level 2/3 should be started when the Level 2/3 training starts. If an exceptional candidate wishes to commence this prior to completion of advanced training and before a specified fellowship begins, they can commence a new logbook Level2/3 logbook when their supervisor has signed off the Level 1 logbook training, and approved the candidate to continue further neurophysiology studies.
(4) At the conclusion of training, an application for Level 2/3 recognition in EEG &/or EMG should be submitted including a summary of the studies performed with a description of the complexity of the studies. For EMG, a summary of how many studies were simple, moderately complex or highly complex. For EEG, how many studies were complex, inpatient ICU, video-EEG, paediatric etc. Applications which do not include a logbook will not be considered.
(5) The applicant must provide details of the educational programme during their period of EEG/ENCS&EMG training, and for NCS/EMG a copy of their AANAM SAE report.
(6) The applicant must provide a letter of recommendation from their credentialed supervisor supporting their application and attesting to the competence of the applicant.
(7) It is not the role of the ANZAN EEG and Neurophysiology Committee to credential Paediatric Neurologists or trainees. As the Paediatric Neurology training programme has its own numbers of investigations for advanced training, all paediatric queries should be directed to ANZCNS.
As the number of studies being performed by applicants vary significantly, the committee members agree there should be guidelines for applicants to follow. The following numbers are to be used as a guideline. The following numbers are conservative and should be easily achievable. They should be regarded as a minimum requirement. These numbers should not include studies performed as part of Level 1 credentialling.
The committee strongly recommend EMG trainees sit the AANEM SAE assessment (available from your supervisor, or by joining the AANEM), and the EEG trainees sit the ASEPA-ANZAN EEG examination (application to Dr N Lawn or Dr A Bleasel).
Applications will be processed twice yearly in March and September. Applications need to be submitted the Executive staff at the ANZAN Office (email@example.com) no later than March 10, or September 10.
Applicants should submit the Covering Application Form together with the documents detailed in the form.